Common Questions: Grades

A former student is applying to university this year after taking a year off school and has asked us to send transcripts. Where do we send the transcripts?

Categories: Grades

Some Ontario high schools participate in the electronic transcript management system (eTMS) through OCAS, which allows applicants who are not current Ontario high school students to request their Ontario high school transcript electronically within their application. These requests are processed electronically. If your school does not participate in the eTMS, you will need to send…

A student decided to apply to university after our February grades submission file had already been processed. Their academic data was included in the submission file. Will their February grades be included in their academic record even though they applied after the grades submission file was processed, or should I add their grades manually?

Categories: Grades

You do not need to add their grades manually. All academic information sent for the student should match with their application. You and the student should verify that all the information is correct. You can make any updates needed using the Academic Information option in COLS.

Are students required to include their current Ontario high school in the My Background section?

Yes. Students must provide information about all institutions where they have registered in 1 or more high school or postsecondary courses. Institutions may include, but are not limited to: Regular day schools Private schools Night schools Summer schools Online schools

How are midterm and final grades reported for courses taken at a school other than a student’s home school?

Categories: Grades

Schools can add and maintain courses for their part-time students through COLS. When a school updates a course for their part-time student, a notification is emailed automatically to the student’s home school. Note that the student must add the part-time school to the Education section of their application. How to View and Change Academic Info…

I have a student who repeated a course and received a higher final mark. When I try to add the course in COLS and select “repeat” under Course Status, I get an error message. What am I doing wrong?

Categories: Grades

When an applicant repeated the same course and received a higher mark, the “Repeat” designation should be placed against the course with the lower passing final grade and the credit value set to “0000”. Do not use the “Repeat” (code “R”) designation for failed attempts. The course with the higher mark should have a credit…

I have a student with several out-of-province and/or international courses. How do I indicate these equivalencies on their academic record?

Categories: Grades

You can add a comment using the Academic Information option in COLS. Note: Not all universities collect “Comment” information from the OUAC. If a student was granted equivalency credits for course work outside of the Ontario school system and you believe this information will affect the student’s admission decision, a hard-copy transcript from the out-of-province…

One of my students applied to Ontario universities but there are extenuating circumstances or disabilities that have affected their academic performance. How do I notify the universities they selected that they have requested special admission consideration?

Categories: Grades

Applicants are asked to communicate directly with each university they selected about any extenuating circumstance(s) that may have adversely affected their admission status. Refer to Extenuating Circumstances for each university’s policy. Applicants should remember to include their OUAC Reference Number on all correspondence. The applicant may request that you provide supplementary documentation to support their…

One of my students previously attended a high school outside of Ontario. They will not receive their OSSD by the end of the school year. Can we still submit their grades to the OUAC electronically with the rest of our university-bound applicants?

Categories: Grades

No. All applicants currently attending an Ontario high school who will not receive their OSSD by the end of the school year must send their transcripts, and any grades obtained from your school, directly to their university choices.

The Grade 12 students at my school will be making timetable changes for second semester by the end of January. Do I also need to make these changes to their academic data (through Academic Information) prior to our board’s February grades transmission to the OUAC?

Categories: Grades

No, you do not need to make these changes through COLS. Any timetable changes for students on your school’s data system are usually sent to the OUAC in the February grades transmission. The OUAC will update the students’ files with any additions, deletions and changes that are on this transmission. The same applies to changes…

Why is there no academic information showing when I’m in Application Information?

Categories: Grades

You are in Application Information and not in Academic Information, which is where this information is found in COLS. Courses, grades and diploma details are available only under Academic Information. You can add, view or edit the academic information there.